QUICK ANSWER: Go to https://compressjpeg.com/. Your images should easily be reduced beneath Focal's 5 MB limit and will be ready for upload.
With all websites, we have to walk a fine line between image quality and page speed. We want you to be able to show off your best work, but also be able to capture clients with fast-loading pages.
For Focal, the ideal image is around 1500px long edge and under 200kb for optimal page load times.
Focal Photo Upload Requirements
- JPEG/PNG format only (JPEG is the best format for displaying images on webpages)
- Under 5 MB
- Any aspect ratio (photos will be displayed at native ratio on package pages)
- Note: We recommend choosing a landscape image for your package cover photos, as the thumbnail will be cropped to a landscape aspect ratio for use on your portfolio
How to Compress
- The simplest way to compress your images for use on Focal is to use https://compressjpeg.com/. You can simply drag and drop your images, and they will be optimized for web viewing. Then, when you upload them to Focal, they will be resized to roughly 1500px long edge.
- Another option, if you use a gallery delivery service such as ShootProof, Pixieset, or Pic-Time is to simply download the images from a client gallery at web size. These will be optimally compressed. When you upload them to Focal, they will be resized to roughly 1500px long edge.
- You may also use Lightroom or Photoshop's "Save for Web" function, which will help get your photos under our 5MB compression limit. When you upload them to Focal, they will be resized to roughly 1500px long edge.